- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (nut allergy? you can substitute this with extra vanilla!)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. To prep for rolling, lay a piece of parchment on the counter and dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- While the mixer is still on medium speed, add in egg, vanilla and almond extract.
- Once mixed, add in baking powder, salt, and flour.
*Add flour 1/2 cup at a time on low speed
- Once mixture is combined and all the flour disappears, transfer dough to the piece of floured parchment paper. Roll dough until it becomes a large smooth ball and flatten into a 2” puck.
- Roll dough to 3/8″-1/2″ thick with a rolling pin.
- Use your Frosted Sprinkles cookie cutters to cut out shapes and transfer to a parchment baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake. Depending on size, cookies may look underdone at 10 minutes, but I recommend removing them from the oven before seeing any brown on the edges. If you've used a medium/large cutter and made them 1/2" thick, you may need to bake for a few extra minutes.
- Once baked, remove from oven and place pan on a cooling rack. Do not remove cookies from hot pan. Let them rest on the hot pan for 10-15 minutes to finish baking before removing from the pan.
- Once completely cooled, top with frosting. See notes section below for frosting ideas.
- Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days or freeze for later.